Saturday, November 30, 2013

Nov 30 - Dedicating Ride to My Mom

My mother was killed from high cholesterol one year ago today. I wanted to start riding south today but the weather isn't allowing me to get to the coast to my start. However I am still dedicating this expedition to her memory and using this as a way to encourage people to get out and be active.
I still have a few things I need to do before I can start biking to the pole. But the weather is so bad they can't fly out to the drop off point and with a couple of ski expeditions ahead of me it will be a couple of days before I can start so there isn't a lot of pressure to dig my gear out of the snow drift it has disappeared into and get things finalized.
With the strong wind and blowing snow I figured it was a good time to try out layering options. I dropped a couple of layers out of what I have been wearing and still was plenty warm.
I had problems with my googles fogging up and not being able to tell where I was going. I will work on a couple of ideas to see of I can fix this problem.
I thought I could get distance info from my inReach but it doesn't give me that info so I don't know how many miles I did today but it was only about an hour of riding.

My tent is slowly turning into an igloo, it is cold and windy but it is awesome to be in Antarctica.
Get out and be active
Dan




No comments:

Post a Comment