Thursday, November 7, 2013

Do What You Love, and You Will Love What You Do

Sometimes when I am mountain biking, climbing the hard hills, and flying back down the rock twisty trail through the trees, I have an overwhelming felling, I wish I could do this for a living! And of course being a bike shop owner, it is what I do for a living.

This morning was one of those rides. I had a great time biking up and down the trail in Tickville Gulch until I got a flat and had to walk my bike back home to pump up the tire. I have the wheels set up tubeless, and rather than putting a tube I would rather walk home where I can pump up the tire and keep it tubeless. Also, sometimes it is nice to just walk along with the bike.

Anyway back on the bike and headed into work and that feeling comes over me. As long as I am peddling a bike, everything is right in the world. I am so lucky to be living in such a beautiful world, and I would love to be able to bike all day everyday for a couple of months. Which is just what I am going to do.

I know that some time in the near future I will be pushing up hill in a whiteout blizzard, 40 below with a 30mph headwind and soft snow. Yes, when that happens my attitude will be different. I will look forward to being able to have a nice warm comfortable place to rest. I know going into this, that it will be the most difficult and miserable thing I will ever do, but in the end it will be worthwhile.

Some people will say don't do what you love as a career because it will turn what you love into work. I don't agree. Owning a bike store I get to spend all day working on, and talking about bikes. I meet some of the greatest people. It is hard work, but I think I am helping other people find a great way to relieve stress and to get physical exercise in an enjoyable way. Now if I could just figure out how to make a profit.


No comments:

Post a Comment